DIY Holiday Pinecone Wreath

Well, it’s time to get my holiday on. Every year, I do the traditional evergreen wreath, but this year, I found a super cute pinecone wreath on the boards. The photo on Pinterest looks like this:

144467100516401926_byIruxAy_c

Photo Courtesy of Better Homes and Gardens

The original link used a store-bought pinecone wreath, but as I am a glutton for punishment, I decided to try to make my own.

IMG_3804

In hindsight, it might have worked out better if I had used something other than a wire wreath, but for the idea that I had in my mind, a wire wreath seemed ideal. My plan was to use floral wire to attach the pinecones to the wreath.

IMG_3805

This turned out to be a painstaking process. It took forever, plus when I say painstaking, I mean that I literally impaled my fingers multiple times with the wire. It wasn’t one of those projects that I wanted to be immersed in. I kept walking away and leaving it for tomorrow. Plus, I wasn’t happy with the way the pinecones were coming together. They seemed too loose, which I figured would fix itself as the pinecones became tightly packed on the wreath, but it was taking too long to get there.

IMG_3807

So I did what any crafty Cathy would do when confronted with an attachment problem: I pulled out the glue gun, piping hot glue onto the bottoms of the pinecones.

IMG_3810

This process worked much more efficiently. Once the pinecones had dried, I secured them on the back of the wreath just to make sure they wouldn’t go anywhere.

IMG_3812

Yes, it looks messy, but nobody’s seeing the back.

I also used the glue to affix the pinecones to their neighbors, and to add smaller pinecones on top where there were visible gaps. In all, I used about three bags of pinecones, i.e., I purchased three bags of pinecones, and used the best assortment to cover the 14-inch wreath.

IMG_3811

Once the entire wreath was covered with pinecones, it was ready to be painted with snow spray.

IMG_3813

IMG_3814

I gave the wreath a light coat of spray, and then allowed it to dry completely.

IMG_3815

Then it was ready for the cardinals.

photo-7

I had thought I would put four cardinals on my wreath, but in the end, I decided that two would suffice. Less is more, know what I’m saying?

IMG_3816

Next, the wreath was ready for the ornaments. These were kind of tricky. I ran the floral wire through the loop and then down through the pinecones to the back of the wreath.

IMG_3817

Had to be careful not to pull too tightly though, because the tops of the ornaments came off very easily, and once they were off, they were a bear to get back on, expecially if they had already gone into the wreath. Had I known this going in, I probably would have secured those beforehand with hot glue, but by the time I got to this step, I just wanted to get it all over with.

IMG_3818

So then it was ready to be hung on the door. The great thing is that it’s not just a holiday wreath. This sucker can stay on the door all winter.

IMG_3827

Even though it took a long time to put together, I am really happy with the way it looks. Just hope no lady cardinals come looking for love this winter. (I hate to see them disappointed.) 😉

Advertisements